I write a column every month in Le Monde.
Here are some other articles in the English language press:
- “One for the believers: the promise and slender evidentiary basis of democratic socialism”, Times Literary Supplement, 19th February 2021, review of Paul Adler’s The 99% Economy. Available here.
- “The Goodness Paradox”, brief review of Richard Wrangham’s book of the same name in Common Knowledge, January 2021, text available here.
- “Is Christianity Losing to Islam?” in Project Syndicate, 1st June 2019, text available here.
- “Out of the box and into the boot camp”, Times Literary Supplement, 22nd January 2016, review of Gillian Tett’s The Silo Effect. Available here.
- “Cheering Up”, Times Literary Supplement, 18th December 2015, review of Layard and Clark’s Thrive and William Davis’s The Happiness Industry. Available here.
- “Desires of others”, Times Literary Supplement, 7th August 2015, review of David Brooks’s The Road to Character. Available here.
- “Deadly as the Male”, Times Literary Supplement, 15th May 2015, review of Melvin Konner’s Women After All. Download the pdf here.
- “The Future of Feminism”, Times Literary Supplement, 28th June 2013, review of books by Alison Wolf and Sheryl Sandberg. The review is here and you can download a pdf here.
- “The Euro marriage can be saved”, The Guardian, 21st May 2012 [ Full text ]
- “Why Gender DOES Matter”, The Huffington Post Blog, 7th May 2012. [ Full text ]
- “How to Defend Universities?”, review of Stefan Collini’s What Are Universities For? in the Times Literary Supplement, March 2012. [ Full text | Download pdf ]
- “The Imaginot Line”, Foreign Policy, January 2011. [ Full text ]
“Financial History’s False Lessons”, Project Syndicate: a world of ideas, August 2010.[ Full Text ]
- “Darwin and the terrible games of Homo Sapiens”, Financial Times, 2 January 2009. [ Full Text ]
Here is an unpublished political novel: President Lidia
Here are some interviews and articles in languages other than English or French:
Here are some older articles and reviews of which pdfs happen to be available and which have not lost all relevance:
- “The Aestheticising Vice”, Review in The London Review of Books of James C. Scott’s Seeing Like A State: How Certain Schemes to Improve the Human Condition Have Failed, 27 May 1999. [ (Download PDF) | Website ]
- “The Operatic Theory of History”, Review in The London Review of Books of John Lloyd’s Rebirth of a Nation: An Anatomy of Russia and David Remnick’s Resurrection: The Struggle for a new Russia, 26 November 1998. [ (Download PDF) | Website ]
- “Down With Deflation!”, article about the sexual addiction theory of inflation, London Review of Books, 12 December 1996. [ (Download PDF) ]
- “Shall We Tell the Children?”, Review in The London Review of Books of Phyllis Grosskurth’s Melanie Klein, 3 July 1986.; includes resulting correspondence [(Download PDF) | Website ]
- “Character”, Review of Bernard Williams’ Ethics and the Limits of Philosophy, London Review of Books, 5 September 1985. [ (Download PDF) ]